Zingerman’s is an amazing business in Ann Arbor, MI. It started as a deli over 30 years ago and has grown into a group of 9 businesses doing over $40M annually (that is a lot of pastrami sandwiches!). One of their businesses is ZingTrain that helps other businesses learn their secrets of success. They share a lot of common philosophies with RunSignUp.
- An inspiring, strategically sound vision leads the way to greatness (especially if you write it down!).
- You need to give customers really compelling reasons to buy from you.
- Without good finance, you fail.
- People do their best work when they’re part of a really great organization.
- If you want the staff to give great service to customers, the leaders have to give great service to the staff.
- If you want great performance from your staff, you have to give them clear expectations and training tools.
- Successful businesses do the things that others know they should do …. but generally don’t.
- To get to greatness you’ve got to keep getting better, all the time!
- Success means you get better problems.
- Whatever your strengths are, they will likely lead straight into your weaknesses.
- It generally takes a lot longer to make something great happen than people think.
- Great organizations are appreciative, and the people in them have more fun.
The one I like the most is #11 – it takes longer than you think to make great things happen. We are almost 9 years into the RunSignUp journey and it feels like we have only just begun (but at least we are having fun)!