We have introduced the ability for races and timers to agree to increase the processing fee on transactions, and for that extra fee to be paid directly to the timer. This allows timers and races to pass along some of the cost of timing a race to participants in the processing fee.
This is very useful as in the past some races and timers had to use a different registration system that had higher processing fees that were being shared with the timer. Sometimes these were referred to as a “Free Chip” program, or it may be part of how a timer is able to lower their price paid by the race.
The basic flow is as follows:
- Timer sets up payment information as well as defining one or more Timer Fee options. For example, it might be $1.00 per participant plus 0.75%.
- Timer sets this for a race.
- Race Director must approve.
- All future transactions will include this extra amount in the processing fee.
Let’s take an example using the above parameter:
- Participant signs up themselves plus their spouse for a 5K that costs $25.
- The total race fee is $50.
- The normal processing fee is 6%, or $3.00.
- The extra timer fee would be $1.00 for each, plus 0.75%. A total of $2.38.
- The new processing fee would be $5.38, and the participant would see this amount when they sign up as a single total number. (Note this is the same or lower than most race registration companies charge)
- RunSignUp takes care of paying the $2.38 to the timer.
- If there is a partner revenue share involved, that would go to whomever the partner is.
Timer Payment Information
Timers, even if they are already partners, need to enter their payment information in their Timer Dashboard:
Once set up, there is the ability to receive payments weekly or monthly. Note: payments are only made if the total due is over $200.
Timer Fee Packages
There is the ability to set up multiple timer fee packages for different types of races. For example, you may charge more for the “Triathlon Free Chip” program than the “Running Race Free Chip Program”. This example results in an effective rate of $1.00 per participant plus 6.75% for transactions over $50, which is actually the same or lower than many race registration systems charge. So participants get the same cost, but a much better registration experience and race directors get the most powerful and complete race management platform available.
Setting Timer Fee for a Race
Now, timers can propose the timer fee directly in a race dashboard (Financial -> Pricing -> Timer Fees) or in the Timer dashboard under Actions on the race list. Simple pick one of the timer packages that was set up in the previous step, and select which events it applies to (for example in this race, there are no chips used in the fun run.
Race Director Approval
Now the race director must approve the pricing as shown below before the pricing takes effect. Note this does not take the place of a formal contract between race directors and timers for their services, but serves as a useful mechanism to offset costs.
We hope this helps many timers and races partner closely to bring great race day experiences to their participants in a cost effective, flexible manner.